Improvements in staff engagement in the Police can partially be attributed to technology innovations. The New Zealand Police have introduced technology that enables police to report incidents remotely. That information is then processed by administrative staff enabling the police to focus on their front-line work.
This is an example of how job design can improve engagement. Based on Hackman and Oldham’s job enrichment model we can ask questions such as:
- How can we create more skill variety?
- How strongly do our people identify with their work?
- What makes work meaningful for our most engaged?
- Do our people have the autonomy they need to do a good job?
- Do they get appropriate feedback about their performance?
Job enrichment model (Hackman & Oldham